Sicily | Sights | Cities | Tours | Contact
Peoples of Sicily Grand Tour
Beginning at Palermo on a Sunday (Day 1) and ending at Catania ten days later, this popular semi-private itinerary takes you to some of the island's most interesting sites and sights in a small group of no more than 6 participants, and upon request it can be "custom planned" for as few as 2, with flexible start-days (not necessarily Sunday). It features licensed tour guides at specific sites, all breakfasts, and other meals as indicated, and a copy of The Peoples of Sicily. Admission fees are included for places specifically indicated where there are guided visits. This semi-private tour is planned conveniently, with just 3 hotel check-ins (Palermo, Siracusa, Taormina) at "superior 4-star" accommodations. Additional pre-tour and post-tour days can be added if you wish to extend your time in Sicily. Airport transfers are priced separately. Pricing and details follow, with purchase conditions set forth in PDF form, with frequently asked questions and more details about us on our main tour page. If you search the net, you'll find that no other company in Sicily offers "group" tours with such small group sizes and regular departures (start dates) throughout the year. Details follow the summary.
Summary (detailed itinerary follows)
• Day 1: Arrival at Palermo. Welcome cocktail and meet the author. Overnight at Palermo.
• Day 2: Guided tour of Monreale and Palermo.
• Day 3: Full-day excursion to Cefalù.
• Day 4: Full day excursion to Erice and Segesta with lunch in a farmhouse.
• Day 5: Check-out from Palermo for Siracusa with a stop for guided visit of the Roman villa at Piazza Armerina. Overnight at Siracusa.
• Day 6: Half-day guided visit of Siracusa's archeological site and Ortygia district. Afternoon at leisure.
• Day 7: Full day at leisure in Siracusa with optional activities.
• Day 8: Check-out. Full-day excursion to the Baroque towns of Noto, Modica and Ragusa before arriving at Taormina. Overnight at Taormina.
• Day 9: Day at leisure in Taormina with optional boat excursion or Godfather tour.
• Day 10: Mount Etna jeep excursion with lunch in a rustic restaurant.
• Day 11: Check-out and departure for Catania airport.
• Day 1, Sunday: Arrival and check-in at Palermo. This evening, you'll enjoy a welcome cocktail and meet one of the book's authors (Louis Mendola or Jacqueline Alio), experts on Sicilian history and culture. Overnight at Palermo.
• Day 2, Monday: Guided tour of Monreale and Palermo. The focus in Monreale is its magnificent medieval cathedral. Sights visited in Palermo are the San Cataldo and Martorana churches, hallmarks of the Norman-Arab architectural style, and the Palatine Chapel in the Norman Palace, with a visit to the Ballarò Street Market, founded as a souk a thousand years ago, where we'll sample some local "street food" for lunch. Overnight in Palermo.
• Day 3, Tuesday: We'll leave the city early for a full-day excursion to Cefalù, a charming coastal town dominated by a medieval Norman cathedral. Overnight in Palermo.
• Day 4, Wednesday: Today we'll leave the city early for full-day excursion to Segesta, known for its timeless Greek temple, and hilltop Erice, with a light lunch in a farmhouse nearby. Overnight in Palermo.
• Day 5, Thursday: Following check-out from Palermo, we'll depart for Siracusa, historically the most important city of Greek Sicily, stopping along the way for a guided visit of the ancient Roman villa at Piazza Armerina, known for its mosaics. Overnight in Siracusa.
• Day 6, Friday: A half-day guided visit of Siracusa's fascinating archeological site, outside town, and the city's charming Ortygia district. The afternoon is at leisure. Overnight in Siracusa.
• Day 7, Saturday: A full day at leasure in Siracusa to explore this fascinating city. Overnight in Siracusa.
• Day 8, Sunday: Following check-out, you'll enjoy a full-day excursion to explore the Baroque towns of Noto, Modica and Ragusa. Modica is known not only for its Baroque architecture but its unique chocolate, based on an old Aztec recipe. Overnight in Taormina.
• Day 9, Monday: A day at leisure in Taormina, with optional excursions like a boat ride along the scenic Ionian coast or the cinematic Godfather tour. Overnight in Taormina.
• Day 10, Tuesday: Today we'll head to the slopes of Mount Etna for a jeep excursion, followed by a light lunch in a farmhouse nearby. Overnight in Taormina.
• Day 11, Wednesday: Following breakfast, check-out from Taormina and transfer to Catania airport for your departure.
• There are personalized options, such as a day or two added to the tour to spend at leisure in Taormina. We also offer pre and post tours on Malta and in mainland Italy.
RESERVE YOUR TOUR
€3950 per person in double room (a couple); €5300 per person in double room single use (one guest per room).
A 30 (thirty) percent deposit is required to confirm a reservation, with the balance paid sixty (60) days before arrival. Cancellation and refund conditions appear below. We recommend the purchase of travel insurance to cover eventual cancellation fees. Most parts of this itinerary, which includes a fair amount of walking, presume independent (unassisted) physical mobility on the part of participants, not only on Mount Etna but at sites such as Monreale which have stairs but no elevators (lifts).
The Piazza Borsa in Palermo, the Antico Hotel Roma in Siracusa, Villa Diodoro in Taormina. In the event of a substitution, the hotel will be of comparable quality in the same part of the city.
What is Included: Lodging in Palermo (4 nights), Siracusa (3 nights), Taormina (3 nights); daily buffet breakfast in hotel; transportation as per day-by-day program; licensed tour guides on days 2, 4, 5 and 6; meals and food tastings as indicated; sales (value added) tax; one copy per room of The Peoples of Sicily.
What is not Included: International and domestic (Italian) flights; airport porterage; airport transfers (see below); baggage handling fees at hotels; city taxes (see below); admission fees at sites; beverages and meals not mentioned in the program; travel insurance; gratuities and tips.
Details and Additional Fees
City taxes, to be paid at check-out from hotels in some localities.
Airport transfer from Palermo Airport: Up to 2 passengers €58 total (private car). Up to 7 passengers €84 total (private van).
Airport transfer to Catania Airport: Up to 2 passengers €114 total (private car). Up to 7 passengers €150 total (private van).
More About Us
These services are offered by Chat & Tour srl, Via Stefano Turr 38, 90145 Palermo, a registered tour operator (tel: +39 091 657 4539). Essential services are insured in compliance with Italian law.
RESERVE YOUR TOUR
Cancellations and Refunds: The following cancellation policy applies.
• Sixty (60) days before arrival (commencement of services), the non-refundable portion of the payment is 100 euros per participant if the total for that participant is at least €1499; €300 per participant if the total for that participant is between €1500 and €3499; €50 per participant if the total for that participant is more than €3500.
• From fifty-nine (59) to forty-five (45) days before arrival, twenty-five (25) percent of the total is non-refundable. To wit, seventy-five (75) percent is refundable.
• From forty-four (44) to thirty (30) days before arrival, fifty (50) percent of the total is non-refundable.
• From twenty-nine (29) to fifteen (15) days before arrival, seventy-five (75) percent of the total is non-refundable.
• In the event of a "no-show" (the Client and/or other participants fail to appear for the tour/activity), or for a cancellation made at or within fourteen (14) days before arrival, the entire price is non-refundable; to wit, there is no refund.
More in the PDF.